Recipes - Baked Goods
Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Domino 10X Sugar
- 2 Cups H&R All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter or margarine
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine, Melted
- 6 Cups (3 Pints) Fresh Cleaned Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Double Acting Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Table Salt (Morton)
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg (optional)
- Set aside a few strawberries for garnishing. In bowl, crush half of the remaining berries with a fork. Slice remaining berries and stir into crushed berries with the 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Stir together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, if you like. Cut in the 1/2 cup butter or margarine till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Add to the flour mixture and mix till just moistened.
- Spread mixture evenly into a greased 9x1.5-inch round baking pan. Bake in a 425 oven for 18 to 20 minutes or till golden. Loosen the edge with a knife and remove from pan.
- Cool the baked shortcake for 15 minutes. Split the cake into 2 layers and lift the top off carefully. Brush the cut side of the bottom layer of the shortcake with the melted butter or margarine. Spoon half of the strawberry-sugar mixture on top of that layer.
- Place the top of the shortcake on the strawberry-sugar mixture and spoon on the remaining strawberries and sugar. Mound whipped cream on top and garnish with strawberries. Serve the filled shortcake warm and cut into wedges. Pass the remaining whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.
Recipe from www.recipe.com